Weobley Castle is a fortified manor house near the village of Leason overlooking Llanrhidian Marsh and the Loughor estuary. The castle dates from the 13th Century. It was attacked and damaged by the forces of Owain Glyndwr in 1403. It is not entirely clear who build Weobley Castle but it is almost certain that it was build by David de la Bere during the early 1300′s. The first documented mention of Woebley Castle was in 1318, when Adam de la Bere (David’s Son) witnessed a deed signed at the castle.
Woebley castle remained the home of the de la Bere family until around 1500, when Sir Rhys ap Thomas is credited with adding a new two-storey porch block. However, when Rhys’s grandson was executed for treason during the rule of Henry VIII, Weobley was returned to the Crown.
Weobley Castle is more of a fortified manor house rather than a castle. In addition to generous guest apartments and well-heated halls, many of Weobley’s original garderobes remain, although the defences of the south wall have long since crumbled.
Much of the castle remains in good condition to this day, in particular the kitchen, hall, and solar.
Opening Times at Weobley Castle:
1 April – 31 October:
Opening times are daily from 9.30am – 6.00pm
1 November – 31 March:
Opening times are daily from 9.30am – 5.00pm
Last admission 30 minutes before closing. Weobley Castle is closed on 24, 25, 26 December and 1 January
Facilities at Weobley Castle:
- Car Park
- Exhibition and Gift Shop